Role models are those we look up to, those who inspire us, those we want to emulate and usually those we admire. For those of us who are on social media a lot, you will see people always paying homage to their role models or acknowledging that so and so is their role model. I am not really sure what the average person uses to determine what qualifies one to be a role model so I decided to ask a few women I hold in high esteem and ask that what they would say are the characteristics one should look out for in a ‘Role Model’. Here are their contributions:
HRH Princess ‘Deun Adedoyin Solarin
For me, Three Characteristics of a Good Role Model are:-
1. A Good Role Model Must Have ‘Great Listening Skills’.
2. A Good Role Model Must be Open Minded, Not Judgemental and Hopefully Free of Scandal.
3. A Good Role Model Must Not Only look at the ‘Transfer of Knowledge’ but also Embrace ‘Knowledge Exchange’ and be themselves Adaptable To ‘Change’
And my Bonus one is
4. Role Models Must try to Be Dignified at all times..
Princess Bola Adelani, Total Success Coach – www.RoyalProclamations.com
A Good Role Model has to have something that I call the “WOW” Factor! That means, the individual has to be:
1. (W)ise – Wisdom is knowing WHAT to do or say, WHEN to say or do it and HOW to say or do it. Saying and doing the right things at the right time. The Wisdom is what causes role models to inspire and create change.
2. (O)pen-minded – This enhances the ability of the role model to engage and dialogue across ALL kind of lines…. to receive and process information and to be GROWING personally.- open-mindedness is the secret to being a life-long learner.
3. (W)itty – what is a role model, without humor, style and panache? They say, ‘smart is the new sexy”. A good role model must be witty, humorous, sparkling, scintillating, entertaining; clever. It makes them relevant, attractive and relatable.
Royal Proclamations | www.royalproclamations.com